Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Downspouts and Bases

I live in an old house that was built in 1928.  The old galvanized steel downspouts and old umbrella bases created trash in an unused part of my yard.  I couldn't bring myself to send such material off to the landfill. There had to be a way I could repurpose these items!  I decided I could make these old downspouts and umbrella bases visually appealing yard art, rather than yard trash.   I couldn't just stand the downspouts up alone, the wind would continually knock them over!!  So the downspouts were painted and inserted over rebar steel rods inserted in the ground.  The rods provide a simple structure for keeping the downspouts upright.   The umbrella bases are extremely ornate.  No one ever guesses they are old umbrella bases!  The bases are simply placed horizontally against  found rebar for an artistic landscape vignette.  Solar spotlights provide interest to the yard sculpture at night.



1 comment:

  1. What a beautiful point of interest the bases give-almost like an ancient ruin site at first glance!

    I can tell you are a sentient, creative person, and what a beautiful blogspot!

    At what age does something become a relic?

    ReplyDelete